Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Market Tote

I have begun the market tote batch. It is a little bit of a work in progress being that it is a new material to me. It is made from a utility fabric, aka "bag fabric". You know, that mesh like fabric so many of the tote bags in the stores are made from? Jo-Ann started carrying the fabric last year and I picked some up.

The seams are something I may play with a little more. This tote has the seams pinched or "sewn in" with a topstitch. It does help the bag stand up. But I may make another with the seams edges folded under. Not sure.


I am keeping them unlined. It will keep the price down and speed up the making. But then I am left with these stitch lines inside...


The handles are nylon webbing that wrap entirely around the bag, lending some extra support.



Here you can see what can fit inside. Not that this is all, but it shows the height and width better. And this is the smaller of the two sizes.

I have one more this size and then two more larger. I hope to have them all done by the end of Wednesday. Wish me luck :)

Oh - and as a buyer - do the exposed stitching lines left from being unlined bother you? Not that there is a way around it if they remain unlined, but I am curious. Personally, since I'd use them for the grocery store, I wouldn't care. But that's just me.

10 comments:

storybeader said...

those are great! And they are prettier than the blue ones I used at Wal Mart! Good luck - hope they sell well online. Would be great for a BNR treasury!

Victoria said...

I love these. They are so cute. I have a number of grocery bags that I've picked up at expos, and they all have exposed stitching. I think since they are for groceries, no one would mind. They are fantastic. :-)

Lynne said...

I think it looks terrific! I like that the straps go all the way around for support and the interior seam lines wouldn't bother me a bit since it's a grocery bag. :-)

Nina Marana said...

Great idea for grocery bag and colorful mine are green.


Nina
www.askmsrecipe.com

The Everything List said...

ooh the fabric is so colorful!

thanks for stopping by the blog and entering the giveaway! http://lachapstickfanatique.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!

Lauren Loves To Scrap said...

You know the saying "it's what is on the inside that counts" I think in this case...it's the outside that counts...they are too cute!

Erika said...

You like geometric design don't you? This is something my husband would pick out.

I checked our grocery bags--they have those sewn lines as well. I don't care as long as they hold my groceries and don't need to be replaced often.

Rose Clearfield said...

I wouldn't care either...they look good!

Linda E. Pruitt said...

Since these are for groceries, I wouldn't care if the stitching showed. One suggestion, does the thread have to be black or can it be in a matching color, that is lighter? It might lend interest to the outside and hide the stitches a bit on the inside.