Monday, March 30, 2009

Just another reason to love handmade...

I love buying handmade and Indie. And it's not just because of all the fabulous & unique creations. It's because there are real human people behind it all...not robots or aliens :P I love receiving something in the mail that actually comes with more than just an invoice. A handwritten note tells me that someone put a part of themselves in whatever I had received. And if I'm lucky, there's an extra goodie in there too :) All the soaps I have ever bought on Etsy came with samples...yippee!! That calls for a WOOT to my 2 fave soap shops Spotted Cow and A Good Witch Too!

I myself try to add a little something extra, even if it is just a note or coupon for their next order. It is easier for the purses since I often have a matching keyring made. Patterns and fabric are tougher...nothing "goes" with it. At least I try to wrap everything nicely.

I have been wanting to make some ACEO/ATC artworks lately, but was not sure where to start. So I hopped on over to Etsy. I think my experience with one seller would have been a concern if it was a non-handmade/Indie shop. We all know that life gets in the way of things, but with the one on one you get with handmade...it's explainable and makes things go much smoother.

I worked with ghgcardshop on Etsy. Her shop is closed right now, hopefully only until life works itself back into shape. But I must say, she was wonderful to work with. There were problems with the post on her end. And things took a while to make there way to my home. But because of the way you can communicate so personally with handmade shop owners, everything worked out fine. What would have been an issue for a box store, was not here. And just look at my cards....



I can't wait to paint, glue, stamp and glue them up! And notice the little samples?



Each little square has written on it the paper weight & name for future ordering. How awesome is that! There is no way I could have cut up my cards so nicely.

I hope to have some creations to show you in the next few weeks. I have my first craft show of the season coming up, so I'll be a tad busy with that for a while.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell it sister! Lovely cards...happy making. And good luck at the show!

Erika said...

This post goes in hand with what is coming out tomorrow! I like how she added the little cards for future ordering.

uniquecommodities said...

lovely cards and very creative

maryeb said...

I so love buying handmade items. I love the uniqueness and the fact that someone put their time, effort and talent into the result.

Hope you do well at your show.