Monday, August 10, 2009

To Market

I think I wrote a post a while back that included some WIPs of market tote bags. I have been using the first one for weeks and I love it. I have about 10 cut up & ready to sew. This is the first one, after mine, that I completed. I used my fiberfill bag to "stuff" the tote so it was not just a flat piece of material lying down on my sewing table.

I decided to go with bias tape around the edges instead of hemming. I hemmed mine and they look a tad mooshed. I know, not the best universal descriptive word out there. But saying worn makes it sound like it's falling apart, which it is not. And wrinkled sounds like it can just be ironed out. But mooshed...to me that fits best.

I suppose a tote you use for the market should be expected to get mooshed. I know I carry all mine folded up (or squished) into one tote. Using the bias tape should keep it looking "fresher". I also plan to make reuseable produce bags to go with them. You know the type - netting with a ribbon drawstring. I use one when I shop and I love it. They are so light that they do not add any weight and no plastic produce bags to just dump back onto our Earth. It's a win win.

5 comments:

storybeader said...

cute tote! And it looks like your sewing machine is right in front of a window! Sweet!

Memories for Life said...

Cute bag! And great idea to use the bias tape :)

Splendid Little Stars said...

I like "mooshed!" "Mooshed" is very descriptive! great bag!

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

That looks awesome :)

BeadedTail said...

I have no idea what bias tape is but I do know that's a great bag!