Friday, March 19, 2010

Giraffe Shoulder Bag

I think the bag may be a bit big for a 4 year old...but he seems to like it :) Well, enough to bear wearing it for photos.

I finished the giraffe bag I showed you the other day & managed to snap some pics to show it off. It is made from a thick textured cotton fabric, kind of like barkcloth, but thicker...less so than burlap. It has a nice heft to it.

The underside of the straps are a solid brown canvas cotton. I thought it would be nice to have a smooth surface contacting your shirt fabric. Wouldn't want the textured fabric to snag at shirts.

The inside of this rather voluminous bag is a cotton floral print. I thought it would be fun. Is it?

The bottom is a faux leather. This way, no worries about the bottom getting trashed every time you set it down. I don't usually carry a bag quite so large, but it seems like it could be a problem. I used a pattern for this bag, McCalls 5719, which is not my norm. I had a sketch of a bag I wanted to make & when I was at JoAnns browsing through the pattern catalogs looking for a dress, I ran across this pattern which was like 90% my sketch. I figured it'd be easiest to just get the pattern & adjust it to my sketch. Heck, that's how I learned to make bags in the 1st place :)

2 comments:

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

Your son is a cute model :) Oh yes, and I like the bag too :P

Memories for Life said...

LOL...That face says it all!

Great bag :)